December 04, 2004

I’d been working up a serious pain in my back, maybe due to the fact that I stated in an earlier posting, that I have become a net junkie. Or maybe because I seriously, or just plain pathetic, strained my ankle in a tennis-workout about two months ago, and it never really healed, which a chiropractor told me was the most likely reason, trying to convince me from her stand at “alternative day” at campus. She did, she convinced me. I got her card which I later lost, why I a couple of days ago was going through the yellow pages in the local phonebook to see if I could somehow recognize her name. I couldn’t, and I soon forgot about my business, as from the chiropractor-section, naturally and in alphabetical order, my eyes slipped into the church section.
5 pages in the phonebook covering Santa Cruz County, which means: Aptos, Ben Lomond, Boulder Creek, Capitola, Felton, Scotts Valley and Watsonville. 5 pages, from pages 214 – 219. 326 phone numbers to different churches divided between no less than 64 different congregations to cover the needs for a population off approximately 175000 people:

Advent Christian, Anglican, Apolistic, Assemblies of God, Assemblies of God (cont`d), Assemblies of God (Independent), Ba-ha`i, Baptist, Baptist (cont`d), Baptist American, Baptist Conservative, Baptist Independent Fundamental, Baptist Missionary, Baptist Southern, Bible, Bible (cont`d), Buddhist, Calvary Chapel, Calvary Chapel (cont`d), Catholic Roman, Catholic Roman (cont`d), Charismatic, Charismatic (cont`d), Christian, Christian (cont`d), Christian Evangelistic, Christian & Missionary Alliance, Christian Science, Christian Science (cont`d),Church of Christ, Church of God, Church of God In Christ, Church of God In Christ (cont`d), Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Community, Community of Christ, Congretional, Covenant Community, Episcopal, Episcopal (cont`d), Evangelical, Evangelical & Reformed, Free Methodist, Greek Orthodox, Interdenominational, Jehovas Witnesses, Lutheran, Non Denominational, Eastern Orthodox, Pagan, Pentecostal, Pentecostal Church of God, Pentecostal United, Presbyterian Korean, Presbyterian American, Presbyterian American (cont`d), Religious Science Church, Rescue Mission, Salvation Army, Scientology, Seventh-Day Adventist, Unitarian Universalist, United Church of Christ, Unites Methodist, Unity.

I’m trying to emphasize the segmentation of, not as much religion as Christianity, which leaves me with serious doubts if this outspoken plurality on longer terms will survive the core of the written word and the common interpretation of: love, forgiveness and understanding.
Sure, it’s a lot of people hoping and praying for it, and if you add it up to a national scale, it’s even more congregations and more people. But it is also, and more than anything else it is a frightening amount of people not being able to agree on anything, even though they are on the same surf. And surfer lingo here in surf city goes: first man on the wave has the right of way!
The consequence ultimately could be devasting, parallel to the accomplishment of the stated purpose, with which I mean the on-going global war on terror. Success is a random factor fraternizing the religious ghost.