January 18, 2006

today,
at the studio merete helelrøe who runs the graphic workshop next to my studio walked in an invited me over in the cantine for some wine, cake and coffee, as it was her 40th birthday. At the table also sat sculptor john olsen http://www.clausenskunsthandel.dk/kunstner/olsen_john/. The conversation quickly turned to the wonders of nature, john olsen clearly is a bona fide naturelover. John and his friend had just come in from a trip to one of the few natinalpark-like areas in denmark...i do not remember which as I these days a pretty far from anything natural though the fact that I live in Jylland.
Anyways, Johns account from his trip was vivid and before I noticed anything else and as I was downing a piece of mazzarin-pie, he stock something green and smelly up under my nose and said: "Here! Smell this! Even though its shit, it doesnt smell like shit does it?"
I smelled it, and no it didnt smell like shit, but it didnt NOT smell like shit either and I passed it on to the other guest at the table, and John presented the thing as an otter-shit, that he was very proud to posses.
The cake slided down heavy, the conversation went on.

Nature at hand, nature at demand.