February 13, 2005

A day that mostly exist because of tomorrow: the 9th birthday of my son Julius. Back in those days when he was born in 1996 – the last century – a winterstorm had, as now, frozen Denmark and grandma`s in spe hardly couldn’t make it to Copenhagen because in those days – the last century, you still had to go on a ferry to travel from Fuen to Zealand, and the Belt was packed with ice.

So the highlights of today were to sightings which reminded me of my pathologic ambivalence towards hi-tech industry.
First I saw, walking along the beach, the fighterplane I`ve almost admired the most, a MUSTANG P-51 race by at an low altitude about 300 feet. The Mustang p 51 – namevise – later became the inspiration for a long range of models of the almost as beautiful Ford Mustang, of which my personal favourite is The Shelby 1965 V8 Fastback.
About an hour later I parked my car next to a stunningly wellkept JENSEN sportscar. I don’t know a lot about them, more than they are really rare, more or less handcrafted and obnoxiously expensive, and ofcourse a pre-1972 model, where something happened to the designs of cars in generally which could inspire me to write an anthropology of cars. Most definitely the oilcrisis in 1973 eradicated the famed and numerous musclescars from the American market, and cars generally got smaller, more square and to fit the seventies head on: brown.

the plane:
http://www.spitcrazy.com/P-51_Mustang.jpg

jensen jensen jensen:
http://www.prestset.co.uk/jensen/resource/jennub.jpg