March 11, 2006

Went to see LARS H.U.G in concert yesterday. Had I been a reporter the headline in my review would be: An expensive, but boring night in the rehearsal room with H:U:G.

But I rest my case in emphaty for the very talented mr. HUG. He was confronting a somewhat simpleminded audience. Entering the stage he first sat down with his guitar, and halfway into his introduction of himself and the two man band (of whom brilliant guitarist ROLF HANSEN stood out as the peak of the evening), one of the local heros interrupted him, shouting: “My name is Jørn. Who the fuck are you?”
Mr. Hug and band then played various hits in his newfound cafe-latte-kind-of-I-have-my-lifelong-fonding-from-the-state-in-the-bank-so-I-travel-to-Brasil-to-get-inspired-with-some-layed-back-bruch-samba-feelings style, which came out boring and not very convincing.
He never scratched the surface what I find is his most interesting material from the heydays with KLICHE and only played one song from the groundbreaking album CITY SLANG.

Not until he introduced his cover version of the 70s John Mogensen hit “Så længe jeg Lever” did the audience live up. HUG, however played it in his newfound cafe-latte-kind-of-I-have-my-lifelong-fonding-from-the-state-in-the-bank-so-I-travel-to-Brasil-to-get-inspired-with-some-layed-back-bruch-samba-feelings style, which didn’t go down well. Playing an acoustic concert his interpretation of the song was totally drowned by the audience who tuned in and sang along accordingly to the original. Never had dissonans had a clearer voice, and never have I mentally moved my belongings and family that fast.

Conclusion: So much for Mr. Hug and so much for Viborg. May 1 we are out of here.

A little aberdabei: back home in the flat I watched the movie: "It´ s all gone Pete Tong" http://www.itsallgonepetetong.com/.

A hilarious and druginfected tale of Ibiza DJ Frankie Wilde and his deroute caused by a serious occupational hazard: deafness. It comes strongly recommended.



some links
http://www.dr.dk/rock/klassiker/0411_kliche.asp (kliche article)
http://www.litteratursiden.dk/sw5849.asp (of City Slang and Søren Ulrik Thomsen)
http://hjem.get2net.dk/Ridder/sang3.htm (lyrics: Så længe jeg lever)