June 18, 2005

Today,
was my oldest sons last day in the american schoolsystem, the pretext to the hegonomical structure evrything is tought overhere.
The day started, however as it usally does, by me dropping Julius of at school, and I diverted to Safeway to buy a thank-you-card and some lillys for his head teacher Ms. Flora. With that done I paused for a minute in my car with a to-go coffee and a cigarette, when a car pulled up besides me at the parking lot. I specifically noticed it because the license-plate read "MORS DYT"... and with an odd old couple in the car, I assumed they could only be danish, but an odd couple I had to talk too. I waited in my car untill they got out and then approched them, and quickly established the fact that they were in fact danish. I am not the kind of dane who make an joyous gesture each time a spot a dane abroad. I more tend to crawl back in my hole. But these, their age, pointed to a ... story. They presendted themselves as Erik and Marna Sørensen of Kerteminde, Fyn, but had been living in Santa Cruz for "...some 4o years" said MArna, but Erik corrected it: "No, Marna, its sixty years this year." Erik had been a sailor during WWII and had somehow ended up on a two week vacation in Santa Cruz, had gone back to Denmark, married Marna, and then immigrated to US.
Yea, nothing big or fancy, I got nothing more from them, but I still drove off feeling...better.

Later at Julius school, his class was giving a show. He hadnt been to exilarated about it because the hip-hop dance act he and some friends wanted to perform had been turned down, because they didnt want "teenage-music played at a 2nd grade party.." thus inclining the subversive character per se of black culture. Instead, they did a squaredance, a mexican dance and a hebrew dance, and so everybody was happy, dancing to the tunes of clean cut cultures.

Anyways: Julius did it. He went through the hassle and did a year in an american school, he tought the language, he made friends...he rocks.