December 19, 2005

TO BE CONTINUED part 2

I walk into the nearest cafe. The chair seems to low, I almost sink into it. Order a round of chilli con carne and ask the waiter to cook it up with some dark chocolate, a squirt of lime and to serve it with bread and a beer. The cafe is filled to burst. I wait more than 30 minutes for the food to be served. I notice the girl sitting a the table next to me drinking indecisive from the a cup of cappucino. She has a servere handicap. To fingers at her left hand makes it out for one and ends in a big nail. Her face, her eyes, all out of proportions. A dark and heavy wintercoat is covering her skinny body. A sommerdress, torn and dirty, creeps out from under her coat. Silvercolored shoes and white socks and a dandruff way round the collar of her coat.
Between our table a german sheppard is lying, tied to a table, calm and behaved, it belongs to two other women at the next table to ours. She seems nervous about the dogs, talks in broken sentences about fear, a mumble more than words.
"Dont worry" the owner of the dog tells her. "You know its supersweet...."
The owner talks on to her friend at their table about another friend of hers who traveled to Jylland over the weekend with her membershipcard for TanStudio, and that shes really annoyed about it including the fact, that she had gone there - to fucking Jylland, with her ex boy friend, even though she just two days ago had him over for brunch.
My chilli is served. I eat it slowly. The dog is quiet, calm, but the girl with the cappucino is frozen stiff at her table. She is clearly afraid of dogs, and the friends at the third table knows it, they know her. They know her, and she trust them blind to help her.
Halfway through the chilli I pause to have a smoke. I break a piece og bread and secretly I feed it to the dog. Another piece of bread I smear in butter, put five whole jalapenos, break the bread, making a small sandwich. The dog eats the first bite in one go. Unnoticed I tease it with the second piece with the chilli, then pause and then go again. I let the bread fall to the floor and with my foot I push it in reach for the dog. It swallows the bread aggresively.