January 05, 2007















"Chain", see flickr account for more pix.




Of the art-openings I have attended over the last years, the one I went to on wednesday was by far the most strangest one.
Rene Schmidt of
http://www.3deconomy.dk/ had, as 1 of three contributing artist – the other ones being Malene Landgreen and Malene Bach, produced two sculptures, PONG and CHAIN, to be placed and installed at the new headquarter for The Supplyunit of the Danish Army ( Forsvarets Materieltjeneste, hard to translate).
Anyways, the following statements should give a clear picture of what I am trying to say:

“Yes, we are the department that keeps the war running. The logistics of sending material overseas is crucial as it complex, and central to the fact that we are a country in war” told the officer who accompanied the civilian guest to a cantina ajoining The Atrium where a very militaristic New Years Parole were being held, of which I understood nothing other than the somewhat hegonomic rituals. Details can be found here:
http://forsvaret.dk/FMT/Nyt+og+Presse/fane_til_fmt.htm.
Dealing with the military, it has always puzzled me that these highly manipulated individuals in uniforms are in fact adults. But then again, adults do stange stuff. In uniforms or not.

After a 90 minute parole we at level 3 (the 40 civilians), was led into The Atrium, where the same officer who explained me the layout of his work in the cantina, presented the art project represented by the three artists. The three artist then gave a brief presentation of their work, the officer then yet again took to the mike and encourage the good 300 guests to “take into sight the artwork by independently utilize our mobility and move around in the domicile”.
So be it, so I did, that’s why I came. But not before having I joined the excessive buffet: cheese, fruits, sandwiches, chickens legs, meatballs, bacon wrapped sausages, and handmade chocolates, coffee, tea and sodas…no alcohol.

I then proceeded to the courtyard where Renes large steel sculpture is placed. His work is, I think, firstly characterized by a highly original form-language. He has succeded to duplicate and further develop the 3D significance normally associated with digital images. The result I think, is the forefront of a new school, also represented for example in the works of australian artist Ricky Swallow: http://www.theprogram.net.au/featuresSub.asp?id=1549&state=1

My participation ended after two hours, at the reception where I had exchanged my drivers license for a laminated guestcard to even get in. I then spend a good half hour lost in the vast space of the new industrial landscape in the surburbs of Ballerup. Company after company, mostly hi-tech industries, in new massive domiciles, most of them square as cerial boxes surrounded by predesigned teletubbie landscaping, hills and lawns. Planet Commute.

The yearmachine is on the run.