July 27, 2006

today,
with literally only minutes to go (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Burroughs) it hit me last night staring out my AsiaHotel room 575 window, that I have no way of concluding where the groundlevel of Bangkok is, besides the waterline, which I cant see from there.

The skytrain passes me at one and two levels higher than I live. I have to take the elevator to the 12th floor to get to the swimmingpool, from where I can look up or down at the city, but nowhere in sight can I see ground level. Highrise buildings, some being build night and day, some at a standstill since the economic breakdown in 97, freeways in three and four layers constitutes a rare collection of ghosthouses and raw capitalism, everything is free flow.

I take the elevator down to the second floor from where I can walk directly to the skytrain station, though I have to go one level up to get the right train. I commute to Siam square, to a 10 floor brand new shopping mall, get off at level four, elevate to level 2, then escalator to level M, which you can say is minus 2. If I had taken a car and wanted to park here I would still have another minus four levels to go down. I visit the OceanWorld extraordinaire, then escalate up to 6th floor to 2000 sq. meter bookstore, then down to level four to the trainstation to catch the BST (Bangkok sky Train) which leaves from level five. A sense of a constant and very noisy vertigo.

Generally it seems nothing is left non-utilized.Thus, I see and I have the future at hand. I leave this country with a silent promise of returning.