August 10, 2006

today,
I was fixing my sons bike in the backyard I stroke up an conversation with Frode, a single man well in his sixties. I have greeted him before, and him me back many times over the last 10 years we have been living here, but maybe because we have been gone for the last two years he had forgotten, not about me, but my name.
"I usually ask for peoples last names also", he said after having asked for name, "It makes it easier for me to sort people out."
I then told him my last name: Alsinger.
"That I have never heard before, though it sounds familiar".
"Well, really it originates from the danish island Als. People living there or being born there are refered to as alsingers as those born in Jylland are jyder."
"Oh, I see, but how come its your last name then?" Frode asked.
"The short story. My granddad was a priest, and he changed, no, in the thirties he monopolized Alsinger as his familyname, instead of his original Hansen, which clearly in his mind were to plain for a priest. Granddad was a snob" I told Frode "and great granddad was a supersnob and a priest too. Maybe it runs in the family."
Frode went silent for a while.
"But it cant be. There most be another story to it. I am sure there is. Priests arent snobs. They carry out the words of Jesus Christ and Jesus wasnt a snob..."
For a second there I didnt know if Frode had snapped, should I continue the conversation, but then I remembered that I had seen him carry a little silver neckless with a crucifix, and that he apparently ment business. But still, I know for sure. My granddad was a bonafine stiff upper lipp, a true to the bone snob. I know, I have read his diaries. He was a jugdemental cultural snob.
"Well, I know he was Frode. I dont wanna argue about it, may he rest in peace, but a snob he was."
"I am sure you got than wrong. Priest cant be snobs" he insisted, "but I guess I cant make you agree with me right now, and thats your God given right. But a snob, no one living the word of christ cant be a snob.."
"But then maybe he wasnt..." He wasnt always living by the word, I mean: I read the diaries.
"But then he couldnt be a priest..." Frode insisted.

The conversation faded, as the bike was done. Today, I got to remember Frodes first name but I didnt get his last name, and Frode got to know my surname but I will bet he forgot my first name. Somewhere inbetween we are both very righteous.